Monday, February 2, 2009

Madness rears its ugly head

Wedding planning frustration is at a peak right now. My mom said it best today that I was trying to plan a champagne wedding on a beer budget, which is fairly accurate. My parents had an extremely simple, family-only wedding and an at-home dinner reception. They just don't understand why I don't want the same thing. My mother is being very generous and giving me a moderate sum of $ to use any which way I like, although she still doesn't understand that I want to be surrounded by all of my favorite people, that this is a great celebration of love and should be honored with the best party I've ever planned. On the other side of the coin, my future in laws have a completely opposite expectation of what the wedding should be, an elegant affair with tuxedos. I am unfortunately stuck between these two worlds and attempting to meet the expectations of both, which is proving impossible.

I wish I could plan this event with the detachment that I plan wine dinners and tastings or negotiate with the parents the way I do with clients, but I am so wrought with emotion that conflict just makes a lump rise in my throat and tears of frustration come to my eyes. After all, I'm marrying the man of my dreams and I just want everything to be perfect and everybody to be happy. I'm pouring my heart and soul into every detail and hearing "You can't do that!" or "You absolutely must do ____!" is driving me nucking futs.

The end result will turn out exactly as I want and the day will be remembered by everyone. What I need is free rein, $5k and for everyone else to keep their opinions to themselves until I ask for it.

Who knew that planning a wedding was so friggin' stressful?

No comments:

Post a Comment