Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Welcome to my wedding world


Here are the basic stats to get you up to speed:

Bride: Jasmine Angelina Luna
Age: 29
Occupation: Fort Worth Sales Representative - Horizon Wines
Education: B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies

Groom: George Brennan Gdovin
Age: 25
Occupation: VP of Solutions Development - Arcos IT
Education: B.B.A. E-Commerce

Engagement Date: August-ish
Wedding Date: September 20, 2009
Budget: negligible
Colors: Silver, lavender, mint green
Theme: DIY

While planning this wedding, I've become obsessed with doing almost everything myself. Partly because of the unrealistically expensive images that bridal magazines feature. Also, George and I went to a friends' wedding that was without question THE BEST WEDDING EVER. It was obvious that the wedding was so "them". They stayed true to themselves and invited their family and guests celebrate their uniqueness. Unwittingly, they inspired us so plan a similar event.

Yes, it's a lot of work. Yes, I've been getting resistance from all sides. But my rock, my love, George is always an encouraging voice of reason and comfort, supporting me through all phases of the DIY process and laughing at my madness at exactly the right time to snap me back to reality.

Choosing a venue without excessive restrictions on alcohol was extremely important to me. I'm in the wine business and didn't want a venue that would dictate my wine list or require me to pay wine list prices which are typically a markup of 300%. It also had to have lots of light inside, an area outside for the ceremony and fit into our budget under $1000 without incidental costs like valets, required staff and all those other pesky hidden charges. After many disappointments, bait and switch pricing and scouting countless locations, the answer was closer to home than expected. The Bent Creek Community Center is located inside George's parents neighborhood in Southlake, TX for the bargain price of $450, better than we could have hoped!

DIY madness began months ago with my save the date shaker card. They are adorable, but took many nights of cutting and gluing. Last weekend, one of my bridesmaids and I crafted simple flower girl pails out of painted buckets, ribbon, crepe paper and a button.

I am using many other bridal blogs for inspiration and will be posting links very soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love this picture. Just showed it off to JJ, we agreed, you guys look SO grownup....guess which is why you're getting married.

    ReplyDelete